Current Events That SHOULD Interest You

These are current events, that were current when posted. They interested me so I wrote sbout them and hopefully Mr. Irwin gave me an A on them. I do three each week. One Russian story, because currently I am in love with one, the second from Yahoo! lastest news on their homepage, and the other is just selected from wherever I feel like.

Friday, January 20, 2006


Freezing Holy Water
On Wednesday night and early Thursday in Moscow, believers of Russian Orthodox, politicans seeking publicity, and just crazy peolpe ( not literally), took a freezing dip in the Bezdonnoye Ozero. The temparute of the water was four celcius with air temperatures of negative thirty degrees celcius. Some peolpe took a quick deep then hurried to get warm, others, however, just acted like it was swimming in normal conditions. The men wore speedos and the women, not sure, but any bathsuit is not warm Reasons why as people do this. First there is the beleivers who believe that any water blessed on this day can serve for baptismal water. This process is beleived to cleanse peole of their sins. The politicans as I said are seeking publicity and the crazy people do it for recreation. Information from : http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2006/01/20/002.html
This ritual I feel is kind of crazy, but it seems like fun, well if you consider daring fun. I'd do it just for the adrenline kick. I'd be the quick dippers, I wouldn't be acting like its at a normal swimming temperature. What I found to be interesting is that one women stated in the news report that she feared getting sick, but not because it's terrible to get sick, but because if you get sick then it supposedly shows lack of faith. Big deal you may think, but then for the rest of your life or until the next dipping, you have to defend your faith. You have to defend that you beleive in God totally. Then there's your own doubt as the whether this belief is right and your faith is lacking. You'll have to decide to ignore this beleif and believe your faith is A okay or try to reconnect with the Lord. Either way you go through some sort of turmoil.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger bella said…

    Excellent blog, Ash. I like the variety of stories (not every one being about Russia or Russians!) Use the spell checker provided please--no reason to publish misspellings.

    no Subtopia action for you?


    irwin

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger bella said…

    dang! is that your Russian hottie you've been dying for? What a stud. I'm not sure you are his type, though.

    Challenge: try a story not of Russian origin.

    irwin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home